All You Need To Know About Subdivision

Posted on: 10 August 2020

Do you wish to subdivide your land? Could be you want to sell or develop the individual parcels. Below is a guide on how to prepare for land subdivision.  

Hire a land development consultant to conduct in-depth research to determine the price of land in the area and viable developments. The consultant will also advise how you can improve the value of the property. For example, you could install fences, asphalt roads and recreational facilities such as swimming pools and tennis courts. 

Once you are confident about the subdivision, notify the local council of your intent to subdivide your property. To lodge a subdivision application, you must be conversant with the details of your land. Other than the title and location of the property, you must also explain its topography, stormwater drainage, vegetation, access routes and nearby developments. In some instances, the local council may send a professional to inspect the land physically. Preferably, you should have a sketch map detailing the following: 

  • The total size of the property and the size of the individual plots.
  • Access routes to each of the parcels. If you wish to develop the property, you must explain what kind of buildings you will construct and the materials you intend to use.
  • How you intend to manage flooding on the property.
  • If the property is close to swamps and water bodies, you must indicate the location of these features. It ensures that you do not encroach on riparian land.

The local council will review your application and give a reply within a few weeks. They may ask you to make some amendments before approving the plan. For example, you may be asked to increase the size of the access road and make a provision for pedestrian and cyclist walkways. 

Once the plan is approved, you are required to meet the council's requirements before each of the plots acquires a title. For urban developments, the parcels must have electricity and water connection. You may be required to make a provision for underground telephone cables and drainage systems. The plots must have adequate stormwater drainage systems. For rural subdivisions, you will need to create a solid waste disposal system. Once the subdivision is complete, the local council will survey the property to ensure it meets the set standards. If it does, you can apply for a title deed.

An experienced land surveyor will significantly ease the subdivision process. He or she will guide you when creating the subdivision plan. Besides, the professional will help you acquire the required permits and follow up with the council to ensure the subdivision is approved. 


Improving Your Home One Step at a Time

If you own a home, you will understand how much work is needed in order to keep a property in good condition. My name is Mark and I live in Syndey, Australia with my wife and our kids. Because we both work full-time, my wife and I find it very difficult to find the time to carry out the renovations and repairs that our home needs. I have been lucky enough to be able to find a contracting company which have sent out men who were able to help us to keep our home looking great. They have taught me an awful lot which I would like to share with you here.

Latest Posts